<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.whentaniatalks.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whentaniatalks: Things I'm Proud Of - Girl Guiding & The Skills I've Learned

Sunday 2 November 2014

Things I'm Proud Of - Girl Guiding & The Skills I've Learned

Hi Everyone,

So with this being my first post of the month, I wanted to kick the month off with the first in my series of ‘Things I’m Proud Of’. I’m going to start with the inspiration for this series. This series will draw on things I'm proud of throughout my life, not necessarily the month just gone.


I was walking through town last week & walked past a shop having a ‘face-lift’. Said store, which will remain nameless, was the backdrop for an event that I’m proud, of for more than one reason.

As a child I was a member of the Brownies, Guides, Rangers & was a Young Leader. I took a break from Guiding while I attended university & once settled into my new home post uni, I became a Guide Leader-in-Training.

Making my promise as a Guide Leader-in-Training, we were on a trip with the girls to Drayton Manor.

Earlier this year, I joined with others from my district to front a stall to raise money for an event some of the older girls were going to be attending. It was raining heavily so we were all huddled under our stall. I heard a thud & saw out of the corner of my eye a man coming out of the store in question & falling.

Out of those on the stall I was closest to the gentleman so went to his aid. I was shocked & appalled that none of the store staff did anything other than glance over & look sheepish as they failed to help, as members of the public walked past. I called an ambulance once the gentleman was under shelter. At least five minutes later, while the paramedics were on their way, a member of store staff came over with the phone in his hand to tell us he was phoning for an ambulance!

As we were waiting for the paramedics to arrive, the member of management in on the day came back from her lunch break. She came through the front of the store, noticed us & came straight over. She was lovely. She filled out an accident form & stayed with us until the ambulance arrived. It turned out that the gentleman had slipped on the slope out of the store, which the manager said they had only recently had put in to replace a step & that it was supposed to be slip proof! I’m hoping that in their re-fit the slope is having a little makeover!

My Divisional Commissioner came in to check that I was ok. I was still recovering from when my hip sublaxed & was unable to stand for too long. The manager found me a chair so I was able to sit, which I was grateful for. The gentleman was taken to hospital & I later found out he had broken his ankle in 3 places! Once the paramedics had left, the manager asked me what help, if any, the store team had offered. She was shocked, but worryingly I don’t think surprised. She said she was grateful for the feedback & would act upon it.

Me the day of the gentleman's accident - cold & wet, but proud!

I have always loved being a part of the Girl Guiding movement & am proud to have been able to help this gentleman using the 1st aid skills I’ve learnt through Guiding. I am also proud that I was in my Guide Leader uniform whilst being the initial 1st aider on site, to be a role model & ambassador for Guiding.

What are you proud of?


Tania Xx

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home