<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.whentaniatalks.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whentaniatalks: Follow 4 Follow Anyone? My thoughts On The F4F Culture

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Follow 4 Follow Anyone? My thoughts On The F4F Culture

Hi Everyone!

So just to warn you, this is likely to be a controversial post. The subject of which is the F4F/sub4sub culture. This post may come across as a rant. It isn’t meant that way. Neither is it aimed at anyone in particular. I’d also like to ask that, while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you wish to express yours in the comment section, please keep in mind the feelings of others. So with all that being said…

I have received a growing number of follow4follow & sub4sub requests (on Instagram & YouTube). Some of these take the form of ‘follow4follow?’ others are along the lines of ‘I really love your account! Follow for follow?’ These in particular annoy me. The person has stated that they like my account. But, they don’t like my account enough to follow it. Unless… I follow them first.


Is it just me or, reading between the lines, does this actually say ‘I’d like to have you as a follower & in return, I’d be prepared to follow you’? Lets assume you were to follow them. How do you know that they won’t unfollow you a week later?

Let’s take another example. I posted a picture on my Instagram account related to a YouTube video that had gone up that day. I received a comment saying something along the lines of ‘I’m a YouTuber too! I’d love it if you’d subscribe to my channel. I’ll subscribe back.’ Interestingly, I looked back at the comment for this post & it’s has been removed by it’s author! I recognised the name & checked my YouTube subscription & low & behold I was already subscribed. I swiftly unsubscribed.

There are also those comments that try to disguise with compliments the fact that they are, essentially, F4Fs. I received a lovely message from a YouTuber with a significant number of subscribers. She had taken the time to message me to thank me for being the only person in the whole week not to have asked her to check their channel out or subscribe to them. She then went on to say that as a result, she had gone to my channel, checked out my videos & subscribed!

We, by nature, seek the company of others. When at school we there’s an emphasis on being popular. This continues, all be it more subtly, into adulthood. I understand that naturally what happens in ‘real life’ transfers into ‘internet life’, as it is what the individuals in question know. What I don’t understand is the need to validate yourself by asking people to follow you. Is it not a little desperate? Personally, I would much prefer to converse with others & allow my thoughts & opinions (one of the reasons I love Twitter chats is that you get to chat to loads of people to talk to!) to be the reason people check out my material & if they like it, subscribe/follow.

I really hope this hasn’t offended anyone. I appreciate all points of view (you never know – there might well be something I haven’t factored in which changes my mind!).

Do F4Fs/sub4subs put you off?
Do you do F4Fs/sub4subs & if so, what are your thoughts & experiences?


Tania Xx

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 28 January 2015 at 20:14 , Anonymous Caz said...

Hi Tania,

How are you? Just read your post and I can agree with you 100%. People do this F4F thing all the time just to push their numbers. I don't think they are interested in real interest by people, which just tells you a lot of their morals blogging-wise. it's kind of the same with all the spammers, who leave a one-liner comment plus their blog link. I usually never follow anyone who begs me for a F4F. I follow because I'm interested in that person and what s/he has to say, or I follow because I have had already a nice chat with the person on Twitter or Instagram. Hope that helps, speak soon xxxx

Caz | Lunch Break Adventures

 
At 28 January 2015 at 23:37 , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't like getting follows for follows. I never follow them. I'd rather someone follow me because they like reading what I have to say, not someone who won't even read my blog but just follows because they want more followers.

Good topic to bring up, Hopefully this doesn't end up being too controversial for you!

-xx

 
At 29 January 2015 at 11:19 , Blogger Elle said...

The follow 4 follow culture drives me absolutely mad. You're so right, if someone tells me they like my blog and will follow if I follow them... they don't really like my blog. They just want me as a follower of their blog. Each to their own but personally, if someone asks me to follow them and in return they'll follow me... I make a point to NOT follow them.

Apolgoeies, rant over ;) Great post though hun!

Elle
www.theellenextdoor.com
xx

 
At 30 January 2015 at 15:46 , Blogger Tania said...

Hi Caz!

I'm good thank you! I completely agree with you. Follow 4 Follow & the like make me more inclined to actively not follow them. I love being able to interact with people - I've made some great friends through blogging! I always make a point of checking the Instagram & Twitter accounts of everyone who follows me & the blogs of people who leave interesting, thought provoking comments! Thank you for your support! Xx

 
At 30 January 2015 at 15:51 , Blogger Tania said...

Yep, I know exactly what you mean Sarah! I don't understand it - yes it gains you followers, but what are followers if they have no interest in you or your blog!?! Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. I'm hoping it doesn't become controversial too. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion & hope I have voiced mine in a way that people, what ever their views on the subject are, don't take offence. Xx

 
At 30 January 2015 at 15:55 , Blogger Tania said...

You've hit the nail on the head Ellie! It's the "I really like you & I'll follow you if you follow me" that I find the most infuriating because they clearly don't like your blog THAT much - if they did, they'd follow you regardless of whether you follow them back!

Don't feel you need to apologise - it didn't come across as a rant, just a well structured argument! I'm glad you liked the topic, so far it's had only positive responses & I'm hoping that won't change! Xx

 
At 6 February 2015 at 12:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh these people annoy me, I just ignore them. It's so bad when they say it though and your already following them. Instagram is harmless so I don't mind it too much on there if they say it, although I will never follow them, but YouTube is a totally different ball park. They never have and never will watch my video's, they are just stupid people wanting to get subscribers quickly x

 
At 7 February 2015 at 09:43 , Blogger Tania said...

I think I'm going to have to get the the 'ignore them stage' quickly Chloe as my patients is wearing thin! I'd never thought of comments on each of the social media platforms being different - which is silly, as the platforms themselves are very different! Xx

 
At 9 March 2015 at 09:45 , Blogger carriedbyfoxes said...

Totally agree! And since when did blogging become all about numbers anyway? I was quite happy with my page views alone and now I'm expected to have 5000 Instagram followers, 3000 on twitter and more again on bloglovin! I just ask that people follow my blog because they enjoy the content!
www.carriedbyfoxes.com

 
At 15 March 2015 at 14:57 , Blogger Tania said...

I'm so pleased that this post has received such positive responses like yours Megan! Thank you! It should be all about following because you enjoy what the person writes or photographs! I understand that with anything in life, you can't sit & wait for people to discover what you're about, but there's a way to go about it - talk to people, make friendships, find others that share your interest & passion! I've made loads of friends through blogging & that's what it's all about for me! Xx

 
At 23 April 2015 at 23:09 , Blogger The Girl In The Tartan Scarf said...

Yes!! This drives me mad! I don't understand why you would want someone to follow you just for the sake of a number? I mean, what does that actually do for you?! I think the majority of people I've found to do that aren't really 'real bloggers', they're just in it for the wrong reason I suppose? I just ignore them when I see them now! Great post lovely :) x

 
At 29 April 2015 at 18:45 , Blogger Tania said...

I know! It's so silly! I have images of people sat, eyes glued to their computer screens watching their stats go up & down! I agree with you, I think the majority of people who do this aren't 'real bloggers'. I'm really glad you liked this post! Xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home