<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.whentaniatalks.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whentaniatalks: Why I Wear Precision Tinted Lenses

Friday 30 January 2015

Why I Wear Precision Tinted Lenses

Hi Everyone!

So you may have noticed a little change to my profile pic. What’s more obvious than the change in the length of my hair is that I’m wearing my precision tinted lenses. I thought what better way to address this than in a post on my health blog.

You may have already read my 'Embracing My Differences' post, discussing the blogging persona I created & why it wasn’t a true representation of myself. I was going to wait until launching my parenting blog to change my profile pic (along with a new blog design), but a couple of things made me re-think this. So I thought I’d use this post to tell you a little about the three reasons I wear my glasses. Where relevant, other posts will be linked. I don’t want to talk too much about the lenses themselves & the colourimetry test that is used to determine the colour of the lenses, as I am planning a video to focus purely on this.

Me on the way to an event - I'd never have been able to go had it not been for my glasses (the hat helped minimise the amount of light my eyes were exposed to aswell!)

Migraine – I suffer with Photosensitive Basilar Type Migraine, a rare form of migraine that affects the area of the brain situated at the base of the skull that is responsible of consciousness. What this means is that my chronic migraine (I’ve had a constant migraine since I was 11) can cause me to loose consciousness. The photosensitivity is the trigger that aggravates my migraine & is the sole reason for my loss of consciousness. I have two migraine posts, one on 'What Are They?' (symptoms) & 'Casuses & Triggers'. I plan to write a post specifically about Basilar Type migraine soon.

My migraine was the initial reason for my getting precision tinted lenses.

Mears-Irlen Syndrome – A visual perception disorder where the visual pathways between the eyes & the brain are interfered with by certain wavelengths of light. This condition is also known as Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome, Pattern Glare & Visual Stress.

Dyslexia – Dyslexia is specific learning difficulty. I am both visually & aurally dyslexic. For me, this means that I have difficulty processing both written & spoken communication. As a result, my memory is poor (not helped by my migraine & other chronic pain either!). I can read a passage out loud or listen to spoken instructions & remember very little of it. I filmed a video on 'My Experiences With Dyslexia' for #DyslexiaAwarenessMonth.

I don’t think it would be an exaggeration to say that my symptoms for each of these (symptoms is probably not the best word when referring to dyslexia but lets roll with it!) are at least twice as bad if not more when I’m not wearing my glasses compared with when I am.

So that’s why I wear my glasses! I wouldn’t have been able to do numerous things if I didn’t have them. I count myself lucky that I was able to get them & that my family, friends & school were so supportive.

I wanted to be able to share the real me with you all, as you’ve always been so supportive of me!

Tania Xx


P.S. Precision tinted lenses can be used for a number of other conditions too!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home